Monday, November 29, 2010

Thing 22: Podcasts

Admittedly, I am not a huge listener. I listen in the car or when exercising, and that is it. I use Pandora or (GASP) terrestrial radio for most of my listening needs. BUT...

I do get my workout music through podcasts. I subscribe to Podrunner and Podrunner Intervals, which are free AND have a Couch to 5k running/training plan. Podrunner updates with new music weekly, so I do not have to listen to the same tunes while training (so boring!) I also have used Deekron the Fitness DJ, but he is starting to charge for his mixes (good for him!) so I have not been subscribing. Some podcasts include video; imagine working out with your yoga instructor wherever you are!

I love the way I can subscribe with iTunes and get music automatically, like RSS feeds. If I were a news junkie I would subscribe to my favorite programs and play then whenever, wherever.

I have created podcasts for the library (we did booktalks for our literature circles) but found them not to be popular. Either that was an issue with promotion or student interest. I used Audacity and it was straightforward.

As the world becomes more mobile (and our mobile devices become our default computers) podcasts and other multi-device information will become essential. People want their information when and how they want it; podcasts can accommodate that. Libraries need to accomodate that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment