Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thing 17: Social Cataloging

Goodreads=Major Fun!

My Goodreads Profile

I joined Goodreads in 2008 and I love the cataloging aspects much more than the SOCIAL aspects. SURE its great to see what your friends are reading, and find some new material or a new author. Or to discover that the new bestseller is BORING and your friends thought so as well (Eat, Pray, Love I'm talking about you.)

Goodreads is also the most public of my social profiles; I would friend people on Goodreads that I met at a library conference, or students in my book club. I guard my Facebook profile more carefully.

Organization: Categorizing your books into useable categories is the most fun part of Goodreads. I often find myself reading Library Journal or prepub catalogs...and finding titles I want to read RIGHT NOW. I can plug these into my Goodreads account, tag them, and remember them later when they appear on the shelves.

Reviews: What should I read next? What did I think of that book? My reading past, present and future are all stored in Goodreads memory.

Shelves: Many books I begin...and do not finish. I have stopped feeling guilty...I tag 'em! Then I do not check them out a second time and try again. I am not the best reader of every book...and life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment