Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thing 4: Social Networking

All good things come from knitting....first blogs, then RSS, then RAVELRY.

I have been using social networking since 2007, when Ravelry.com began. I had messed with Facebook, but none of my friends were using Facebook so using it was a lonely proposition. Ravelry was different. It has a place to store all my projects, could link up patterns and yarn, and I could talk to my knitbuds about patterns and problems and yarn purchases...without leaving the house.

Ravelry is still active. I also have a presence on Goodreads (another favorite site--friend me there!) LinkedIn and Facebook.

Today the JTCC library has a blog and a "turn" on the college's main Facebook page (we called Tuesday!) I manage both of these, plus the content for the library's website, and the library's site on the college intranet. I have encouraged students and colleagues to friend me on Goodreads; it is the most public of all my sites. I'm thinking about establishing a formal group for the student book club I sponsor. Many of those students are already my friend on Goodreads.

Still....the line between personal and professional continues to blur. Are we sharing too much? When will the pendulum swing the other way?

No comments:

Post a Comment