Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thing 10: Tweeting.

I've been on Twitter for awhile, but only active for the last few months. Like Facebook, Twitter was not where my friends were...why bother? Twitter has a huge corporate buzz, but I am still deciding for myself if I want to use it regularly. I do not have a smartphone, and much of the fun of Twitter is the info on the go.

NOW I have a few library buddies (hi Amanda!) who use Twitter, and I started following them for fun and happiness. Plus, learning the ropes.

I like Mark Bittman and he has a new book coming out, so I've been following him. His tweets are a mix of interesting articles and real life activities. King Arthur Flour is fun; their blog is one of my all-time favorites. Others are not so interesting. I tried following Robin Quivers, but I found her tweets cold and irritating. It is still more interesting for me to hear about peers rather than read a PR feed.

"Interruptive" media is not a favorite (this is a theme with me. See also: IM/chat and phone calls.) I'll check what is going on when I want to...do not send me a noisy update! Do not break my concentration! I open Twitter when I want to read it and close it when I am done.

I've tried some searches with mixed success. Twitter is like a newspaper front page--you see what grabs you and then research from there. Discovery vs. depth. Headline vs. article. Crowdsourcing vs. experts. Twitter use is still evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment